30 November 2010

Ginger Ale Bread

My mom and I periodically share a good laugh about our fundamental differences in the kitchen. We actually just had this conversation on Thanksgiving when I said, "who actually measures out a half teaspoon?" And she said, "well, if the recipe says so, I do!" Which is so true.

Honestly, I can see her logic -- if you follow the exact same steps with precision each time, the food should always taste the same. But I can't bring myself to cook that way -- I experiment because if I follow the exact same steps with precision each time, how will I ever discover anything new?

I'm not sure where my mom came across this recipe, but it's crazy-easy. Fortunately, it's also delicious, especially this time of year as a go-with for soups, stews, and casseroles. Since we're talking about bread, this recipe should be made with precision. I'm no where near as capricious when it comes to baking, so I follow my mom's recipe just as it's written.


Slightly unconventional, but here's what you need:
12 oz can of ginger ale (brand doesn't matter here)
2 tbsps of sugar
3 cups self-rising flour

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine sugar and ginger ale. Slowly pour in flour, stirring just enough to moisten. It's really important not to over-stir the dough, so really just stir it enough to get it damp. Pour into a 10x6 bread pan, and bake for 40-45 minutes, until browned.

1 comment:

theconners said...

Would you recommend this bread with any particular soup? Does it have a sweet taste?